Have you ever asked yourself, Why do i procrastinate? Do I have a problem? Will I ever stop? Is it a condition?
Let me shed a little light on those questions.
Procrastination is a universal problem. We often find ourselves doing it even when we know we shouldn’t be. It affects our work, schooling, and most importantly our health.
For instance, avoiding a conversation can only lead to conflict, delaying important life decisions like switching jobs, getting married, divorced, postponing a doctors visit.
At some point we start to regret not doing the things we needed to when we had the time.
I always tell my sister that simple problems need simple solutions and in this case the solution is to “just do it”. Easy enough huh.. But we always seem to avoid this simple solution.
Here are a few tips that’ll help you avoid procrastinating if not stopping it altogether
1. Make a list of the things you want to do and set a time to work on your list (today) and set a reminder on your phone so you don’t forget.
2. Set simple achieveable goals-part of the reasons why we procrastinate is that we find the tasks too complicated, try to avoid this.
3. Set a deadline for the tasks-it is very important to set a specific time/date for when you want your tasks to be accomplished.
4. Avoid distractions-it could be a movie, people, or the internet whatever it is try to avoid it, you can as well change your environment to a more peaceful one.
5. Time yourself and know when to take a break-you can set a timer on your phone, assign a particular time for a task. It could be 30minutes or more but don’t forget to give yourself 15minute breaks after every task.
6. Use incentives-tell yourself something like “if I start doing my laundry now I could be done before my favourite tv show starts or if I finish all my chores now i’ll probably be allowed to go to debbie’s birthday party later”. It’s easier to pay attention when something is at stake.
7. Get the hard stuff done first that way you won’t feel too lazy to do the remaining tasks.
8. Tell someone about your goal-it should be someone who would encourage you to work hard. Its hard to forget something when you have someone to remind you, plus you can share your victories with them.
9. Don’t criticize yourself over failure cid in the end all that counts is the effort. Aspire for great results but don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get them.
Always remember that procrastination is a time thief. Each time you think of procrastinating remember these tips. They should help even a little😉
If you’re interested in other articles I wrote here is one;